Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Web Design Magazines & Inspiration

Early on, web and graphics magazines have been my source of inspiration. I was fortunate enough to have a teacher who provided us with her left overs. I soon discovered that my mom had collected some from thrift stores. It didn't matter that they weren't new or fresh because it was all new to me. It provided reference for what ideas circulated in 92, recirculated in 98, stayed strong from 98 - 03, what methods improved, what methods should be embraced again, and that real creativity is not now-centric. Keeping up with trends in web design gives you a frame work for what is expected of you. There is no rule that limits you only to that. It's frustrating to look at designs for inspiration that are all text book examples of modern design - all variations of each other. It's important to have the ability to produce that textbook example. I just can't be inspired by it on a regular basis. I feel like my inspiration comes in two seperate forms: creativity & skill. I really want to see more sites that inspire both.
I'm placing together a list of magazines. I immediately identify How Magazine, A List Apart, Digital Web, and Smashing Magazine as my most frequently visited sources. I spend most of my time in galleries and surfing through sites.
Magazines I need to work into my routine:
Computer Arts
Ping Mag (Japan)
I'm about to read six articles on Smashing Magazine, all of which will probably drive the content of the next couple of posts.

No comments: